Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS

Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic
  • Easy-to-use, dual orientation, touchscreen interface
  • Garmin Real Directions with Garmin Real Voice guide using recognizable buildings and landmarks
  • PhotoReal and Bird's Eye junction views offer detailed images of junctions along your route, to ease the stress of merging on or off a roadway
  • Up Ahead displays nearby services info -including restaurants, stores, hospitals and fuel -alongside your map and updates as you drive your route
  • Sleek mount attaches from behind, for less distraction

Long story short and why I'm even writing this: Over complicated routes to get to simple places. If it takes more time and more turns on nastier roads to get to my destination going somewhere I know, why would I trust this GPS when I was away from home?

Elaboration:

I live in a rural area, and you can explain to me like I'm a child how to change all the options (I'm a big boy and read the book, played with every button), but no matter what options you pick this device will NOT stick to main roads. There's a city an hour from me, you take one main highway and get onto another, and you're there. The Nuvi 2557lmt does NOT take this route, however, it cuts a corner on a nasty back road rather than sticking to the main roads and ads several minutes to trip (personal experience from knowing the area where I live). Even when I use Google Maps to trace where the Garmin would have me go it says it takes one extra minute, but Google is assuming you'll risk your struts by blasting through potholes at the posted speed limit on that forsaken back road. There are two main highways you can take to this city, neither of which were presented in their simplest way, there was always the addition of back roads.

This unit is new and based on my experience quite expensive. I decided to move over to this device from a 4 year old Magellan because the maps were unable to be updated (a real issue for Magellan so I hear), and the battery no longer held even a 2 minute charge. I almost went with a Magellan unit that had every single feature this device did but was less than half the price for a 2012 model, but decided to risk spending much more to get the map updates that Garmin does a good job of upkeeping. You can call me a fanboy if you want, but I'm a little disturbed to see that all the software features the Magellan had have taken this long to reach a 200 dollar Magellan. Basically new maps mean nothing if this device's software is unable to pick a decent route.

Closing Satement:

The device is fine hardware wise, it's decently quick and the touch screen is considerably more responsive than my older GPS, and the build quality is lovely. Really the hardware is the only reason I've left this at 3 stars, and while it will get you to your destination I have serious doubt that it'll do it the best way as I have gone on wild goose chases with this device in the few days I've owned it. Don't forge your own path, Garmin, stick to the road MORE traveled.

Firmware as of now: 2.40

Maps as of now: CN North America NT 2013.40 ALL

GPS Firmware: 3.03.04

Buy Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS Now

Ultimate Garmin GPS Comparison Guide for 2013 Models

I wanted to share with others my research on all the Garmin models out there in one easy to see spot. For those unfamiliar with the basic family differences Garmin breaks them down into 3 categories.

Essential Series These are the everyday GPS units with basic features. They are the most affordable, simple, and user-friendly.

Advanced Series These are the next step up from the essential series. They have additional features that go beyond basic navigation.

Prestige Series Most advanced, premium line of GPS units available from Garmin. Top notch performance and cutting edge features.

-----------------

The letters after each model number in all series mean the following:

LM Lifetime Map Updates

T Live Traffic Updates

-----------------

-----------------

The model numbers that Garmin uses are in different formats for each series. I will detail them below mentioning only the differences between each model. Any models not seen here are old models and have been replaced by these for 2013.

Essential Series (Split into screen size categories):

4x Series (4.3" Screen):

Nuvi 42

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY7NSTY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AY7NSTY&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Unit Dimensions 4.9"W x 3.1"H x 0.8"D

US Maps ONLY

Nuvi 44

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY7NSX0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AY7NSX0&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as Nuvi 42 but with...

US AND Canada maps

-----------------

5x Series (5" Screen):

Nuvi 52

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY7NT2U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AY7NT2U&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Unit Dimensions 5.5"W x 3.4"H x 0.8"D

US Maps ONLY

Nuvi 54

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AY7NV0K/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AY7NV0K&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as Nuvi 52 but with...

US AND Canada maps

----------------

----------------

Advanced Series (Split into screen size categories):

24xx Series (4.3" Screen):

Nuvi 2457LMTHD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0I7Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0I7Y&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Unit Dimensions 4.8"W x 3.0"H x 0.76"D

Lifetime HD Digital traffic providing updates at 30 second intervals

NO Voice Activated Navigation

NO Bluetooth

Nuvi 2497LMT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0JP0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0JP0&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as the Nuvi 2457LMTHD but with...

Lifetime traffic updates but with less frequent updates

Voice Activated Navigation

Bluetooth

-------------------

25xx Series (5" Screen):

Nuvi 2557LMT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0IEC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0IEC&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Unit Dimensions 5.4"W x 3.3"H x 0.76"D

NO Voice Activated Navigation

Lifetime Map Updates

NO Bluetooth

Nuvi 2577LT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0JNW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0JNW&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as the 2557 but with...

NO Lifetime Map Updates

Voice Activated Navigation

Bluetooth

Nuvi 2597LMT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0I88/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0I88&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as the 2557 but with...

Lifetime Map Updates

Voice Activated Navigation

Bluetooth

-----------------------

27xx Series (7" Screen):

Nuvi 2757LM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0I6A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0I6A&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Unit Dimensions 7.4"W x 4.5"H x .9"D

Screen Size 7"

NO Voice Activated Navigation

NO Lifetime Traffic Updates

NO Bluetooth

Nuvi 2797LMT

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0JOQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0JOQ&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

Same exact specs as the 2757

Voice Activated Navigation

Lifetime Traffic Updates

Bluetooth

-------------------

-------------------

Prestige Series (there is only one model in this series):

Nuvi 3597LMTHD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0IC4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00AXX0IC4&linkCode=as2&tag=stupisms-20

This is the current Garmin Flagship model

Screen Size 5"

It carries any and all of the features seen on other models but it includes a high resolution screen

It also has a touchscreen and supports multitouch

HD Digital traffic providing updates at 30 second intervals

Read Best Reviews of Garmin nüvi 2557LMT 5-Inch Portable Vehicle GPS Here

Being as how I have owned four other GPS's (all Garmin) I asked for, and received a Garmin 2595LMT as a Christmas gift to replace my old NUVI 650. Even though this item is not the 2595, they are very similar and I will have to say that this one is by far the best one yet of all of them. For a reasonable price, it cannot be beat. I did not think that I would ever use the traffic function, but it does come in handy at times. I have wired it into my car's electrical system so that it is almost 'built-in' and have bought another mount and cable so that I can us it in my wife's car that has a built-in navigation system. The Garmin is so much better and user friendly I strongly prefer the Garmin over the OEM in her car.

FYI I am not employed by either Amazon or Garmin, just a faithful customer for many years.

0 comments:

Post a Comment