eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter

eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 AdapterAMAZON is lumping several sellers of this product with this single review thread. THAT IS A REALLY BAD IDEA because some sellers are shipping products that DO match the Amazon product photo and some are shipping inferior bad-fitting versions that DO NOT match the photo and either DO NOT WORK or just fit poorly and barely work. Since product quality varies so much, to be useful, reviewers really should state their seller's username in reviews.

Great news there is now a $2 Android app called Nexus Media Importer that lets you view/listen to your USB media files without "rooting" your Nexus 7 tablet. It works great. I have a short review with images at LasValley702 forums.

First, the "only" good news shipment from this seller "Crazy-Stores" from Hong Kong was quick. This one arrived several days ago and an identical one bought from a different Amazon seller "Warm Mart" ordered on the same day still has not arrived. I will note that the shape of and markings on the received micro-USB OTG adapter do NOT match the seller's Amazon product photo.

The micro-USB plug on this adapter will not make electrical contact with the Google Nexus 7 tablet because it will not insert fully into the N7's USB port (bad fit or poorly made, your choice). If I wedge something between a USB keyboard case I bought for the N7 and N7's USB port, the keyboard will work BUT constant pressure must be maintained or it will not. BTW, wedging something against the N7's USB port is just not a good idea and could eventually damage it. So, for me, this micro-USB OTG adapter is worthless.

As I said, the 2nd OTG adapter I bought from the other Amazon seller "Warm Mart" still has not arrived from Hong Kong. So, I bought a 3rd adapter from Ebay seller "itrimming". This one from Ebay fits snug and works perfectly with my Google N7 tablet.

If you have a Google N7 tablet, avoid this seller's adapter. (It "might" work fine on other devices.)

BTW, this adapter came in the mail with nothing but the adapter inside. There was no indication which Amazon seller had sent it so I had to email both of them to inquire if "Tom Tang" and the SKU-XXX belonged to them or to someone else. I don't think it is too much to ask that Amazon sellers at least mark their packages and/or contents with their seller name.

UPDATE #1: see my two user images at the top to see the difference between this Amazon purchased adapter (not compatible with the Google N7 tablet) and the one I bought on Ebay.

UPDATE #2: I received the 2nd Amazon purchased adapter (seller: Warm Mart) today. I notice that the seller names (1) Crazy-Stores and (2) Warm Mart from my order now seem to point a link to a new one "Digital Center". Both Amazon purchased adapters look identical (and not the same as the product photo). Both have a plug too long for the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Surprisingly, the 2nd one actually works anyway (at least for the moment) even though it sticks out from the N7 USB port way too far.

I ordered two to use with my Galaxy Nexus. At first, it took a minute for my phone to recognize the adapter. Now, it will instantly recognize everything connected to the adapter. I am able to power a lit keyboard and a mouse attached to an unpowered USB hub connected to the adapter without problems. Mounting a flash drive works great as well.

Be warned, using a keyboard and mouse will drain battery life quickly and there isn't a way to charge while using the adapter.

For other Galaxy Nexus users: The phone doesn't have drivers included to natively mount USB storage devices. Download StickMount on the market if you have root access and mounting flash drives will be quick and simple.

Buy eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter Now

I ordered several of these from this seller and another. They were all the exact same cable. They do not work. The micro plug appears to be too long and it does not seat all the way. I tried with an HTC Flyer and a Nook Color, both do have host mode. Nothing would be recognized because the plug does not fit.

Too cheap to bother sending it back, but PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY.

DOES NOT WORK.

Read Best Reviews of eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter Here

DO NOT INSERT DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT FOR YOUR NEXUS 7 TABLET UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! (READ and know that you have been warned.)

Also tried on my HTC EVO and it did power it, but causes unusual program anomalies (as soon as I plug it in, it starts the EVO Dashboard Program and unit Camera at the same time -a good indication that the unit is probably shorting somewhere???)

Ordered 3 of these, price was cheap. 1 came obviously defective (connect teeth "hold in place" pins missing.) Next, tried all 3, connector end that goes into the Nexus 7 tablet is WAY too long for the device (at least it's not too short, that's a good thing? How about just right?) No connection made. 100% failure rate.

Even worse: After plugging this into My NEARLY BRAND NEW NEXUS 7 tablet that I love so much, it will no longer power up. WTF!!! $280 down the drain? I am SOOOOOO MAD RIGHT NOW!!!

So, summarize: 1 cable has obvious visual physical defect, and all 3 have electrical connect defect for the Google Nexus 7 Tablet. Sounds like I'm not the only one having problems with this product, especially on the Google Nexus 7 Tablet. Product less than $1 is it really worth returning? Probably not.

Better to just do a review and share my experience and hopefully the sellers with defective products will just go away! Amazon should consider whether or not this seller can stay on the network if the products can't meet basic expectations. Providing the seller name in the title because Amazon is apparently (based on other reviews) combining reviews from a number of sellers for this item... THIS EXPERIENCE WAS NOT COOL AMAZON!

Want eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter Discount?

I purchased a couple of these from the seller: ExertaTech (I prefer to order from a store in the US than China). I initially attached it to the Nexus 7 using a USB drive, but nothing happened. After purchasing Nexus Media Importer app, I plugged back in the USB drive and was able to play a movie! Great tool to have additional storage for my Nexus 7! (I uploaded a couple of pictures of the micro USB cable being used with Nexus 7 to play a movie)

Save 58% off

0 comments:

Post a Comment